This week's designer Q & A is with Paige Adams-Geller, the Founder of Paige Premim Denim
1) Why do you think after 200 years jeans are still one of the most popular items of clothing?
I think jeans are still so popular today because they are so versatile. We can wear them just about everywhere! Dressed up, dressed down denim today is comfortable and lasts a long time. It truly is a staple in any wardrobe!
2) Last time I counted there were over 50 brands of premium denim jeans, what makes your jeans stand out from the rest?
I think that Paige premium denim is a stand out among the crowd because of its fit! There is truly a jean for just about any body type. The classic, clean look of Paige premium denim is not overpowering. You wear the jean, it does not wear you!
3) Who do you imagine is a typical customer?
I am happy to say that Paige premium denim is the favorite jean of college women across America. However, due to the many fits within the line we have a customer base from the ages of 13 - 60+!
Paige Adams-Geller wearing Paige Laurel Canyon Jeans
4) Which style and wash of your jeans are flying out of the shops the quickest at the moment?
The style that appears to be flying off the shelves at this moment is our Benedict Canyon style in the Tuscan wash. As well as our lagoon wash in Laurel Canyon (see above) and the blue heights skinny! Oh, and our wide legged Hillhurst is out of control!
5) Where do you get your inspiration from?
I get my inspiration from everything! But mostly from studying body shapes! Due to the fact that fit is truly my expertise, I love the challenge of creating fits for all different body shapes! I also love to travel. Therefore, a lot of my inspiration comes from admiring the beauty of people, places and cultures around the world.
6) Are there any essential jeans that everyone should have in their wardrobe?
I believe that everyone should have a classic boot cut jean in a dark wash in their wardrobe. The jean should be clean, with no fussy stitching or pockets. Therefore, it can be worn with anything in your wardrobe! A great black overdye jean is always an asset as well!
7) What are the first pair of jeans you remember?
The first pair of jeans I remember were the jeans my Mother bought for me when we were moving to Alaska. They may have been "tough skin" jeans. I hated them! I literally threw a temper tantrum because I hated jeans! I only wanted to wear dresses! I was so angry with my Mother! My, have times changed!
8) What have been your favourite pair of jeans that you have owned?
My favorite jeans that I have owned? Wow! That's tough! I have to say my Laurel Canyon jeans in light stretch destruction. They feel so soft and they feel like I have owned them forever!
9) What have been your favourite pair of jeans that you have produced?
My favorite jeans that I have produced would have to be the first style I designed which is once again the Laurel Canyon. It is such a comfortable jean that embodies the era of the 60's that I love so much! The jean is hip, cool, sexy and comfortable! What more would you want?
10) How many pairs of jeans do you currently own and which are your favourites?
I own about 150 pairs of jeans! It's crazy! I always want the newest styles from production. My favorites of the moment are my Blue Heights skinny jeans in Lagoon wash or the Grey Walls wash. I also love the new Benedict Canyon with the las flores embroidery on the back pocket.
11) Are you a "wash your jeans after each wear" person or a "wear your jeans for six months before you wash them" person?
I wear my jeans a few times before I wash them! I did do a stretch test with my denim. I wore a pair for 8 days to see how much they would stretch out. They still hugged my bottom just right!
12) Do you own jeans for different occasions (for instance I have work jeans, smart jeans, weekend jeans, holiday jeans, jeans for going to concerts in, jeans for gardening in) if so what have you got?
Absolutely!!!! I have work jeans that must be comfortable, like the Laurel Canyon's or Robertson's, I have my going out blue height skinny jeans in black or grey, my Franklin boyfriend jeans for week-ends, my Hidden Hills jeans for PMS ( they hold in your tummy) my pinstriped Hillhurst wide legged jeans for serious business and my Coal washed jeans for my rock star alter ego!
13) Which is your favourite jeans shop?
I hate to say it, but my favorite jeans store is my own! The Paige store is the perfect place for me to test styles and work with customers! I get a lot of creative ideas when I am there!
Jessica Alba wearing Paige Jeans
14) Which celebs are currently wearing your jeans?
I am thrilled to say that celebs such as Jessica Alba (see above), Halle Berry, Salma Hayek, Nicole Richie, Eva Longoria, Joss Stone, Angelina Jolie, Rachel Bilson and Sandra Bullock are all fans. To name a few! We also have amazing men in their PPD's like George Clooney, Nick Lachey, Jake Gyllenhall, Patrick Dempsey and .
15) How important big an effect does it have on your sales when a celeb is seen wearing a pair of your jeans?
Its always nice to see your designs on a celebrity. People love to know what the stars are wearing and aspire to dress like their favorites! I am always flattered so see anyone wearing my jeans. And if they are lucky enough to end up in a magazine or TV show. That's a bonus!
16) Who is your current favourite denim icon (male & female). I am thinking the person who has the most denim style?
My favorite denim icons would have to be Jessica Biel and Charlize Theron for women and Mathew Mcoughnahy and James Dean for Men.
17) Which character (male & female) from a movie had the most denim style?
I will never forget how sexy Richard Gere looked in his jeans and blazer in American Gigilo! How memorable were all three of the Charlie's Angels in their high waisted wide legged jeans!
18) Which person living or dead would you most like to see in a pair of your jeans?
I'd love to see Grace Kelly, Catherine Denuve, David Bowie and Clive Owen in my jeans! And to appease my country girl side, Keith Urban and Faith Hill! Daniel Craig would be another favorite!
19) If jeans had not been invented, what would we all be wearing?
If jeans had not been invented we'd be still wearing hot pink pleated pants, shorts with leg warmers and parachute pants! Men would be in plaid shorts, khaki's, polo shirts with the collar flipped up with no socks and topsiders!
20) And finally, any predictions for denim in 2007