This week Designer Q & A is with Marck, Designer at Goldspun.
1) Why do you think after 200 years jeans are still one of the most popular items of clothing?
Denim symbolizes youth, creativity, unity. It is often refered to as the rebel fabric, yet has brought so many great minds together. It has evolved from work wear to a symbol of our pop culture and even seen at "red carpet" events.
2) Last time I counted there were over 50 brands of premium denim jeans, what makes your jeans stand out from the rest?
Goldspun is focused on the design, quality, and fit of our products. Every piece that is fabricated has a special quality about it, making them all individuals but together a collective. Goldspun is "utility meets elegance".
3) Who do you imagine is a typical customer?
Trendsetters, entrepeneurs, industry elites, artists, anyone that is "outside" the box.
4) Where do you get your inspiration from?
"Black tie avant-garde"
5) which style and wash of your jeans are flying out of the shops the quickest at the moment?
I am currently selling out and reordering style #mjn04- renegade jean (see above) in the rebel wash. It is a clean straight leg jean, with structured detailed flap back pockets, a triple coin pocket, and all our custom hardware and stitching. The japanese denim we use, washes down to a buttery soft, thats comfortable on all year round.
6) Are there any essential jeans that everyone should have in their wardrobe?
I personally think that everyone needs a pair of the "Mr. Perfect" 5pkt jean (see above). Mr. Perfect is our version of the 5 pocket jean, in a pencil (skinny) cut thats perfect with your favorite sneaker or a night out in town. We also included 2 hidden pockets (so its really a 7 pocket jean!)
7) what are the first pair of jeans you remember?
My dads super tight wide leg jean.
8) What have been your favourite pair of jeans that you have owned?
I would have to say "Mr. Perfect" because it is a really nice fitting jean that can be worn with anything.
9) What have been your favourite pair of jeans that you have produced?
My favorite jean produced would have to be the "we are one" exclusive. It is a compilation of every jeans in our collection. We even put the kitchen sink on that pair.8-)
10) how many pairs of jeans do you currently own and which are your favourites?
I probably own about 50 pairs of jeans but only wear 6 pairs consistently. I have two pairs of Mr. Perfect, that my 3 days out the week jean. I also wear my "goldspun triple back pockets" in the "pencil cut"
11) are you a "wash your jeans after each wear" person or a "wear your jeans for six months before you wash them" person?
Always dry clean!
12) Do you own jeans for different occasions (for instance I have work jeans, smart jeans, weekend jeans, holiday jeans, jeans for going to concerts in, jeans for gardening in) if so what have you got?
New York is all about being fresh and new all the time. The jeans I own compliment any situation I find myself in.
13) Which is your favourite jeans shop?
Double RL in Soho
14) which celebs are currently wearing your jeans?
Chris Brown, Usher (see above), Jamie Foxx, Little Wayne, Robert Leler.
15) How important big an effect does it have on your sales when a celeb is seen wearing a pair of your jeans?
I don't think celeb wearing your garment have a direct effect on sales, I do feel that it does create brand awareness in diverse markets.
16) Who is your current favourite denim icon (male & female). I am thinking the person who has the most denim style?
17) Which character (male & female) from a movie had the most denim style?
18) which person living or dead would you most like to see in a pair of your jeans?
Jesus Christ, im sure he will support at retail.
19) If jeans had not been invented, what would we all be wearing?
20) and finally, any predictions for denim in 2008
Goldspun revolution, its our turn!